Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Year of Me

At this time last year I was just beginning to start my new life. The easy life. The happy one. I had officially left school and told my parents what I did and there was no going back. I was a grad school dropout and I was ok with that. 

Even though I had left school I was still able to see a school therapist but I stopped going just before heading home for Christmas. I was telling her about how my head was still swimming with worry. I was living completely inside myself and I didn't know how to get out. So she told me to start noticing my surroundings. To look at nature and people and buildings. Sounded easy enough. So I left that session and I started looking. The sky was blue. The trees were bare. The wind was cold. I had stepped out of my head and allowed myself to join the world again. 

Even the smallest of flames help you to see the whole picture.

A few months before this I had attended the first Boston Bookfest with my friend and college roommate, Laura. I told her how I had been feeling like I wanted to leave school. We discussed it a little and then the lecture started. When it was finished she turned to me and asked if I had read the book, "Eat, Pray, Love." I told her that I had and she told me that I should do what the author of that book did. Take a year off to take care of myself. To leave behind the bad and find the good. It was what I wanted to do all along and she was the first person to tell me it was a good idea. I had found my support. So away I went.  Easy as that.

And since then, and during this past year, I have been having the time of my life. This has quite honestly been one of the best. I'm happy. I am comfortable with who I am. I can face whatever comes my way and there is freedom in knowing that. I am not a slave to my life anymore. I make the rules. Like a boss. 

So as this year comes to an end and a new one is only days away I hope that all of you will find happiness as well. Actually, it's not even that you have to find it, you just have to realize it. I hope that you realize that you are capable of being happy. And if you are already happy then I am happy for you. But I know it's not easy. So this past year was about me and now it's your turn. Make 2011 about you and your happiness. 

Happy New You Year! 




1 comment:

  1. Bravo! Your bold exposé of your yearlong journey of self-realization betrays a kindness that your words sometimes struggle to conceal. Inside, we have always known that there was a gentler Mallory, a wiser
    and thoughtful intellect that was way less bitchy than she wanted to appear. And in the end, that side of you has won, and the natural result is that you wish only to share your good fortune with the rest of us.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete