Sunday, October 25, 2009

This is for me

I went to the Boston Bookfest today with my college roommate. It was a rainy Saturday and usually I would spend the day lazing about the house but I decided to brave the rain and venture out.


There were various seminars going on that I wanted to see so I sent her a text and met at the BPL. We had missed the seminar I wanted to see which was on writing memoirs so we got a seat at a seminar on thrillers and killers instead. We got there an hour early and spent the time catching up on each others lives.

I love listening to writers talk about their process. I love just being around writers. To know that some of us make it. Andre Dubus III author of 'House of Sand and Fog' said that only 200 authors in the US actually make a living out of writing. I don't know where he got this number from but I believed him. The other writers present were Joseph Finder, Stephen Carter and Jessica Stern. 

They said that the advice to "write what you know" is terrible. I was relieved to hear this. When do you know something? I've been waiting to know something so I can start writing my book. I think I would have waited forever. They said it's all about writing what you are interested in and learning more about it. They said a great novel leaves space for the reader to fill in their own ideas. You fill in the blanks. Everything doesn't need to be spelled out for you. They said that they don't write for anyone but themselves. If someone likes it, great, but it's an afterthought. A pleasant surprise. 

I felt so good after hearing them say all this. I've dreamed of becoming a writer since around age 5 and now it is something that tugs at me everyday, like a child pulling on her fathers pant leg. When will I be a writer? Can it start now? I wanna start now! Pleaaasseee. I guess anyone can be a writer, but I want to be an author. A novelist. I mostly just want to drop everything I am doing now and live the life I've imagined for myself. Become immersed in my writing. Write my little heart out. 

I don't know whats stopping me... 

8 comments:

  1. That part about a great novel leaving space for the reader to fill in their own ideas was a recent revelation for me. Sometimes I can get too anal about explaining everything.

    I seem to like the same trait in paintings, too. Impressionists, surrealists, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I can definitely get lost in the details too. "Less is more" seems to work best. I don't want readers to think that I think they are stupid by spelling it all out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you write whatever it is you are supposed to be writing at that given point. I cant tell you how many stories are on my hard drive half finished, novel ideas still mental blueprints. I have several "scenes" in my mind, but am unable to connect each one to the other. That's narrative, and without that it kind of defeats the purpose. Forcing it leaves me staring at a computer screen, and at words like "The" for a while. I think it comes when it comes. Whatever does come, I write down. A thought, an idea, an anecdote, a random piece of dialogue, a description or a feeling, etc. I strike when the iron is hot and then trust my brain to, you know, organize it all into something later. Maybe I'm reiterating things you already know.

    That "less is more/telling not showing" battle is one we are all fighting. They still write articles about it in magazines like WD, or The Writer, so we aren't the only ones dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I've got a lot of little breadcrumbs laying around that will hopefully lead me to a story one day. I hate writing dialogue though. All those "he said" and "she saids" get boring for me. Maybe I can get away with no dialogue. Really shoot for less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to beat a dead horse here, but, I'm going to. I also get caught up on the "he said/she said" thing. Ever read any Cormac McCarthy? He has a style (albeit a difficult one to emulate) That involves a seamless transition from narration to dialogue, without quotations or anything.

    Also read an article that brought up a good point: To keep things moving during long bits of dialogue, it's good to break it up with physical action, stream of consciousness, and other narrative tools. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately I have not read any McCarthy but it sounds like I would like his style. I'll put him on my list. I don't read about writing enough. Where do you find these articles Adam? I'm sorry to admit that I have never even heard of WD or The Writer...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting back a bit late on this one but, WD = "Writer's Digest". That and "The Writer" are both magazines. "Poets and Writers" is another one, though I think the articles in it are a bit high-brow sometimes. There are others too. You can find them at any Barnes&Noble or Borders for like $6.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got copious amounts of free time now so I will have to go check those out!

    ReplyDelete